Thursday, August 25, 2011

We're not in the city anymore folks.

I call it fate today that I just happened to travel to and from base at the times I did today.  I left later than I was planning and ended up staying on base longer than expected.  So it's not like I was on and off base in a structured time frame.  From the first day I arrived here, there were signs everywhere about the Great Plains Stampede Rodeo.  This is the 33rd year it will be in town.  Well, it starts today.  Tonight is also military appreciation night.  I guess this also means they do some sort of parade event on the base.  Are you catching on?  I just happened to arrive close to base to be stopped by an insane amount of traffic waiting at the gate.  Once I moved a little farther I noticed....it wasn't all cars.  About 100 riders on horses were parading onto base and what was supposed to be a 5 minute drive to base, turned into 15 minutes.

Fast forward to me leaving base.  I'm halfway down the main drive off base and cars just stop.  I couldn't see in front of me at this point.  You're kidding me.....it couldn't be.  Oh yes...I happened to also be going off base at the same time these horses were.  Except this time....there are STEERS in the mix.  Yes, tried and true longhorns.  Well, I also should mention that the route we take home passes the rodeo locale. I should also mention that for some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to take my normal route home.  Well, you guessed it, I got stopped again.  My drive home took a whopping 45 minutes.  Lucky for you all, I took some pictures on my slllloooooooowwwwww drive home.
The street sweepers were on poop patrol....they were doing a great job...until they moved BEHIND my car.
Not sure how well you can see that, had to make it really big, but there was a herd in front of me.  This was the point that I realized there were actually steer's walking down the road also.
Horse trailers (and street sweepers) behind me....
Horse trailers in front of me...lack of street sweepers....leaving me poop exposed...luckily, I don't think I ran over any.
I had to pull into the gas station to actually capture a picture of everyone making their way back into the rodeo grounds.  Notice all the people who stopped to watch.  There were lots of people....everywhere.  And no, I don't consider myself one of them, the only reason I pulled over was for your entertainment.  :)
Lots and lots of trailers and trucks and horses and cowboys.
This place was deserted a week ago.  It's still undecided as to whether the Bradley's will be brave enough to act like the locals and venture out there this weekend.

In other news....I made heaven on a plate for lunch today (but forgot to take a picture).  I sauteed some asparagus (always yummy) and I've been on a bruschetta kick, so I had some of that laying around.  Well, fresh mozzarella, garden spring mix lettuce, bruschetta and a drizzle of light balsamic vinegar.  It. Was. Heavenly.  Next time I'll take a picture because there will definitely be a next time for this sandwich.

No comments: