Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Wild West

Driving to Altus from Lawton, Ok (the last town before Altus) kinda makes me feel like we're in the wild west.  The miles and miles of land, a few sporatic house, horses, cows, dried up ponds, etc.  On our way home tonight I took the liberty of becoming a photographer.  Mind you, the sun was setting (bad timing on my part), so the pictures are kinda bright.  Non-the-less, here's what you see starting 50 miles before Altus.

First thing though.....I FINALLY got some new tennis shoes!  I love love love them!  The only part I don't love is that I look like an oreo if I'm wearing black shorts....an oreo with extra, extra cream.  Yea.....my legs have reached a new shade of pale...gotta fix that.

Love them!
BEST part of all...memory foam insole!!!








We saw a cloud today!  Just kidding, there's a few clouds everyday.  I absolutely love that I get to take numerous weather pictures.




There's lots of mountains hills.
These little trees are everywhere...and everything is leaning ever so slightly to the right...i blame the wind.
There's quite a few signs that say towns are so many miles away or they're down that way...You can't see these towns from the road....I'm actually not quite sure if they exist.
These mountain hill formations are everywhere along the first half of the drive
Oh and the speed limit is 70....makes perfect sense to put train tracks through the middle of the road.  Without cross bars no less.  I don't think they get used very often.
See...they look like they're all made of lots and lots of rocks just piled on top of each other.  Chase said he could run to the top of that one in 5 minutes.  I might make him prove it one day.  :)
Lots of worn down houses spread throughout the farmland.  Some are obviously barely standing and others look like they shouldn't be standing but yet someone is living in them.
When I first arrived, I was slightly afraid that the base only consisted of about 6 hangars and planes.  Luckily that's not the case....the base is actually quite big.  Bigger than Columbus at least.
Behold, Altus!!!  Don't worry Taylor....there's quite a bit more down the road that than.  I can't wait to discover a lot of it with you!
This is the road that leads to our apartment.  (The back road).  You can see forever....plus there a power line or two...or 50.
Hope you enjoyed the drive.  Oddly, I kinda do.  Something about the barren land and endless views.  I have no doubt that all types of weather will come through and I'll get many more pictures while here.  Tomorrow...stay tuned for a tour through our apartment!



1 comment:

Angie said...

i love love love these tennis shoes!!!!!