Monday, September 12, 2011

Presentation...C+

As I have mentioned many, many times before, I like to cook.  No, I love to cook.  I'm not sure what has struck here in Altus but I have cooked more here than I think I did in 6 months time at Columbus.  My kitchen is smaller, I don't have all my utensils, I'm slightly more limited on my ingredients, but yet I have made so many new meals here.  Meals that I don't think I ever made at Columbus.  I'm cooking LOTS more fresh veggies.  We seriously go through a bundle of asparagus every 3 or 4 days and there's peppers and onions and zucchini's and squash and lots and lots of spinach.  Whatever it is that has taken over...I really hope it sticks around for awhile.  I really like hearing Chase say "dinner was really good honey!"

This weekend Chase told me I should make something for their flight.  If you're unaware, Kelsey and I had countless baking adventures in Columbus and the guys received countless batches of cookies, cupcakes and whatever else we decided to cook that day.  He told me to make some cookies.  Well, I couldn't just make any regular ole cookies so I looked up recipe after recipe and found a Pinwheel Cookie recipe.  It was basically a vanilla shortbread cookie with chocolate rolled up in it.  Chase was a little skeptical during the process.  Needless to say, I made a HUGE mess in the kitchen.  It was very worth it though.  They were quite tasty.  My presentation however....well, it was lacking (as it normally always is).  Chase helped me cut all the cookies so we could get them baked faster.  I decided to use a knife.  Here's what that batch looked like after cooked.
Notice how they are slightly smushed and the chocolate is running through them a little.  Well Chase decided there just had to be a better way, so digging through my limited utensils he came up with a pizza cutter.  It definitely worked better than the knife.
They had a little more chocolate in the middle and they were "swirly" like they were supposed to be.  He kept trying to give me a hard time about the first batch, but I had to quickly remind him that HE cut all of them.  He didn't have to use a knife the first time.  So off he went this morning with his batch of cookies.  Apparently the class thought they were store bought.  Is that a compliment?  I'm taking it as one.
He returned the Tupperware empty.  Hooray!  We kept the first batch of rejects to ourselves.  I think they taste just the same.  Maybe one day I'll convince him to let me make cupcakes for them....

No comments: